Sunday, July 13, 2008

Priorities

Today in Sunday School we talked about basic gospel principles and what we should be doing in our Families to strengthen our faith and testimonies. The main emphasis was on Family Prayer, Family Scripture Study, and Family Home Evening. As I was listening to the lesson and feeling pretty good about our own family habits, I started to realize that we really don't conduct regular Scripture Study with our children. Every time we try to read scriptures together, the children seem to get very hyper and unruly. They become so irreverent that I guess I just kind of give up. We always have Family Prayer and weekly Family Home Evening, but we are not as good about Scripture Study.

I have often wondered why there is so much contention between some of our children and why we do not have as much peace as I would like. I have tried to figure out how to fix it and have always come up empty. As we were discussing the blessings of REGULAR Family and personal scripture study, it became very evident to me that in order to receive those blessings in our home, we MUST be reading the scriptures, DAILY, as a family.


I am kind of embarrassed that I have let this slip. I am convinced that if I will take the time and make family scripture study a priority (even if the kids act up and do not cooperate), things will start to change in our home. I know that we will have increased harmony, the kids will not argue as much, I will feel more patient with the children, and the children will begin to gain a love and an understanding of the scriptures.

We came home from Church and talked to the children about having regular scripture study together. They all said that they would like to do it and we all agreed on a time that would be most effective.

I am happy to say that we started the Book of Mormon tonight and are going to continue reading it every day until we finish. I know that we will have times that will be trying and I know that the adversary will try to get us to quit, but I have a very strong testimony of the scriptures and I am determined to succeed! I know that this, along with our Family Home Evenings and Family Prayers, WILL be a wonderful blessing in our home!

I love my family more than anything and I want to give them the same opportunities that I had growing up. We always had Family Prayer, Family Scripture Study, and Family Home Evening in my home and it was such a blessing. We could literally feel a difference if there was ever a day we accidentally missed. I want those same blessings for my family and I know that our lives will benefit greatly by our dedication!!

5 comments:

Melanie said...

Check out this link. It's a snapshot of family scripture study. Absolutely hilarious!
http://fitforthekingdom.byu.edu/?page=watch&piece=scriptures

Melanie said...

Okay, I guess comments don't allow hyperlinks. Try this instead. Go to ffk.mormondocs.com and click on the video entitled "scriptures."

Mindi B said...

Very funny, Melanie!

Me said...

You have lucky kids! My family almost never had scripture study when I was growing up. Mainly it was cause my dad thought that if we were going to have it, it had to be at 5a.m. Well, since his 3 daughters all inherited his wife's lack of desire for getting up early (we're all Night Owls--and he's the only one who wasn't), it was more like dad yelling and dragging us all out of bed. Which, of course, didn't really bring in the Spirit. Then, it turned into "dad's lecture moment"--which really didn't help any. Family Home Evening often was that way too. We were a little more successful with family prayer. Anyway...I think your kids are lucky cause I didn't realize until I was a teenager, and heard from a Young Woman's Leader that her family had family scripture study right after dinner, at the dinner table, cause that was when all of the family was almost always together, that I realized that flexibility is the key to success with all 3 of those things (and that forcing 5a.m. scripture study isn't really very flexible) :). So, you have lucky kids cause ya'll discussed it as a family and made the decision together. I think that's awesome!

Me said...

By the way "disillusioned" is Mary P.