Friday, May 8, 2009

BYU Women's Conference

Last week, I had the opportunity of going to BYU Women's Conference. It was a very enriching experience for me and I feel like I came home a better person (well, at least a person who truly aspires to being better). I have never understood why people are so crazy about going to a two day conference once a year, but now that I have experienced it for myself, I get it. I hope to be able to go every year from now on.

I left on Wednesday night and came home on Saturday morning. I was really excited to stay in Heritage Halls and it sure brought back memories of my days at BYU in Deseret Towers. Here's a shot of my room 'with a view' (yes, that is the "Y" on the mountain, just outside my window).



I learned a lot from the classes I attended, but my favorite was John Bytheway's class on how to communicate with teenagers. It gave me a lot of insight on how to communicate with my future teenagers. I also loved Sis. Beck's talk in the Friday morning General Session - you could see the sincerity, concern, and love in her eyes and she told us to "Fight" for the family!


Thursday evening they had a concert of a bunch of music artists and it was really good!

I would have to say that my most spiritual and touching experience I had at the conference was when everyone in the Marriott Center stood up and sang "Now Let us Rejoice" directed by Merrilee Webb. I truly could not sing because I was so overcome with emotion. To see that many women united in common belief and conviction was too powerful to describe.

I am so grateful for my opportunity to attend Women's Conference. When my sweet friend asked me if I wanted to go, I was leery of leaving my family, having Jason take off work to be with the kids, and taking time for myself that I didn't feel I needed. Well, I needed it - not the time away, but the lessons I learned. I'm so grateful to the women that got me to go, I'm grateful to Jason for being so unselfish and staying home with the kids, and I am grateful to the Lord for teaching me!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How cool! Thank you for sharing your sweet experiences, Mindi! Sounds like you had an absolute blast. After battling the traffic in recent years, I can see the wisdom in staying on campus. How enriching. Awesome.

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

I keep hearing amazing things about it every year from a few of my friends that go. One of these years, I might make it!!!

Forsyth Family said...

GiGi says amen to all you said!!

Valerie said...

I didn't get to go to women's conference this year so I'm searching online for people's notes. :) I just love it! I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't get through the songs without tearing up. Glad you had fun!