Thursday, December 16, 2010

Someday

Life is full of 'Somedays!' Someday I'm going to do this or someday I'm going to do that, someday I'm going to have this or someday I'm going to have that . . . well, for years my number one someday has been to go on a cruise with Jason. We are celebrating our 15th Anniversary this month and its the perfect opportunity for me to fulfill that 'someday' . . . right?! Well, not this year. When you have six kids (four of which are in school), holidays to plan for, piano to teach, and everyday life to fulfill, going on a cruise with your spouse is not in the mix - even a night away seems impossible.

So, I have been sitting here feeling a little bit sorry for myself - especially having seen so many other couples that have gone on cruises this year!! I want to go SO bad and I feel like it is never going to happen. I want to go somewhere ALONE with Jason!!!!! I want to have one week away from ALL the cares of the world where Jason and I can just enjoy each other and have FUN together. We just don't get to do that ever! I mean we have alone time every night when the kids go to bed and we go on dates every week, but it just isn't the same. I want to GO somewhere and be away from everything that we are responsible for. I want to just relax on a boat or a beach and just talk and laugh together without any sweet little children interrupting us!

But wait! Haven't I been able to do so much already over the past 15 years . . . YES!!! So now I'm talking to myself when I say, 'girlfriend, you have done more than enough over the years to compensate for not getting to go on your cruise this year!! You have gone to Hawaii twice with Jason and have been able to take the children to Disneyland 3 different times - how in the world could you feel sorry for yourself that you are not going on a cruise this year?!!" I think sometimes we get caught up in seeing what others are doing and we wish we could do the same, but we forget that we may have already done so many other things and it is not necessary to do more. I'm not going to say that I am not bummed that we don't get to go this year, but I am going to say that I am VERY grateful for all the things that we have already been able to do and I am VERY grateful for the kids that we have and for the responsibilities that come with having them. I am VERY grateful for the mere fact that Jason chose me and that I have been able to spend the last 15 years of my life with him. That could have been different and my entire someday list would have been nothing to compare.

When I was 14 years old I wrote a someday list about the man I wanted to marry and that 'someday' came!!! I am truly grateful for that and all of my other 'somedays' just do not matter!

8 comments:

marcella said...

The cruise will be great someday, but if you did it now you would just miss the little people and that would take the fun away from your someday. The season of life is with those little ones and all that it is. I know someday the Y fans and the U fans should do a cruise together!!! Maybe a date for say 5 years???? You are awesome in all you do. Love ya, Marcy

Me said...

"Someday" sometimes doesn't come. I'm glad it came for you!

Mary P.

Mandy said...

Being happy in life is all about perspective! Way to "count your blessings" and end up happy at the end of that post. My mom always says, "There's a time and a season for everything." You're a great gal, Mindi!

Melanie said...

Great perspective, Mindi. But you still deserve some time away, even if it's only one night. That little bit of time away from life's responsibilities can be just enough to push the "reset" button and give you a fresh start. I'd be glad to take your kids for a night. Seriously. Your 15th anniversary only comes around once. "Someday" might be closer than you think.

Tammy said...

BEFORE children we went to Europe twice and on three cruises but once Nathan was born 8 years ago we haven't been anyplace without our two boys. We celebrated our 12 year anniversary last week. Six months earlier I planned a special trip to Vegas for just Mike and I. But the week came and we didn't have the money. I felt sorry for myself but we still sent the kids to my in-laws for two nights and enjoyed time alone.

You might not feel too sorry for me since I have been on a few cruises BUT we rarely (by rarely I mean probably less than 5 times a year) have a date night so I envy you that!

Congratulations on 15 years!!!

Tony and Whitney said...

Well said. Perspective means a lot

Andrea said...

This is really sweet. I've been feeling the same way the last few days. I really wanted to go away for our 10th anniversary and I was feeling sorry for myself because we aren't in a position to do that and sometimes I wonder if we ever will be. Thanks for your perspective. It's nice to know I have friends out there that understand. You are great! :)

Kim said...

Mindy, even if you don't go on your cruise, you and Jason should take some alone time. You have enough family that you could divy the kids out to. You guys should take the time to spend with just each other. It's such a help in getting recharged. Don't feel guilty. Your kids will have a blast and ask when the next time is that you are going away.