Friday, October 10, 2008

High School Memories

Senior - 1995

Junior - 1994

Sophomore - 1993

Here are some of the dances I went to:

Girl's Preference
(My date and I are in the matching green, plaid shirts on the right side)

Homecoming
(I'm on the front row, right side)

MORP
(Yep, I'm the freaky hippy with the peace sign, on the front row, right side)

Halloween Dance
(I'm on the back row, left side, with pig tails)

This was a Madrigal performance in Disney World
(I'm ridiculously front and center - what am I doing? I look like a geek!)

This was a poster of the P.R.I.D.E. Team

This was my PRIDE performing group on tour in Southern Utah

This was one of our elementary school performances
(I'm the one with the microphone)

This was a letter I received from one of the students after a performance

This was at the Basketball State Tournament

This was my mom and me after the Principal's Reception

Did you date someone from high school? I dated a lot of guys from High School. I liked being friends with everyone - I definitely had some favorites though (3, in particular).

What kind of car did you drive?
Ford Bronco - boy was it great for flipping donuts in a snowy parking lot! (I was much more daring back then! I would never do that now.)

What was the most embarrassing moment of HS? There are a lot of them, unfortunately, they all had something to do with tripping, falling, running into things, etc. I guess you could say I was a little clumsy.

Were you a party animal? If you call hanging out with a bunch of Madrigals and winning every eating contest a party animal, then, yes.

Were you considered a flirt? Hmmm. I guess you should ask the guys - was I?

Were you in band, orchestra, or choir? Absolutely, and I loved it! (Choir, all three years - Concert, Jazz, Madrigals, and All-State)

Were you a nerd? I was probably a geek - are they the same? I don't consider myself a stereotypical nerd, but I was BIG on getting good grades and I never sluffed.

Were you on any varsity teams? yep. I was Captain of the Varsity Basketball Team

Did you get suspended/expelled? Not a chance.

Can you still sing the fight song? No . . . but I can sing the Cougar fight song and ALWAYS will be able to!

Who were your favorite teachers? Mr. Ochoa (AP History) - he team taught with Mr. Ward and everybody loved Mr. Ward - I did too, but for some reason Och was my favorite. I also loved Mr. Monroe (AP Calculus BC) - I was known for falling asleep in his class because it was the first two periods of the day. One day he threw a giant blackboard eraser at me and hit me in the head - we had a good laugh over that and I stayed awake from then on. Bro. Finch, Bro. Haws, and Bro. Stewart were my favorite Seminary Teachers ever!!! Those of you who know them will totally get why.

Where did you sit during lunch? Everywhere. I was friends with a lot of different groups of people and I just went wherever I felt like it. Sometimes I went to Subway.

School mascot? Hawk

Did you go to homecoming, and with who? Yes. Junior Year, I went with Spencer Affleck and Senior Year, I went with Mike Rowell

What was your biggest pet peeve at school? Swearing in the halls, and P.D.A.

What do you remember most about graduation? Being outside on the Football field with about 950 graduates, metal stands full of family members and friends, our principal speaking forever, and an enormous storm cloud getting closer and closer to where we were. As the names of the graduates were finally called out row by row, we heard the loudest BANG! Lightning struck a pole in the stadium and shot an electrical current down to a female photographer who dropped to the ground. The next thing we knew, the power was out, the wind was fierce, diplomas were flying everywhere, hundreds of people were scrambling to get out of the stadium and get into the school, many of us grabbed handfuls of diplomas and ran inside, the power was out in the school, people were looking for family members, and there was complete and utter chaos . . . so, how was your graduation? (I never did get to do my diploma walk and I am still a little bitter - but hey, 1995 will always be remembered as the year lightning struck.)

Where did you go on your senior trip? I went on a Western Caribbean Cruise with my mom - it was AWESOME! (It was the first time I was ever asked to meet an older man on the promenade deck at midnight . . . I think he was a little disappointed when I told him I would have to ask my mom; we had a good laugh about that one.)

Were you in any clubs? National Honor Society (I was never able to get elected to Class Office or Student Body Office, but I was President of the National Junior Society in 9th Grade, Vice President of the National Honor Society in 11th grade, and President of the National Honor Society in 12th grade - go figure). I was a member of the P.R.I.D.E. team (Peers Responsible in Drug Education - a performing group that went all over the District teaching children to be Drug Free). I was also a member of the Key Club, Altatudes, and Math Club.

Have you gained some weight since then? Well, if you are reading this and you never saw me in high school, then no, I look completely great - lol! Now, if you are reading this and you knew me in high school, then yes, I've had five kids and for sure I'm not the skinny minny I used to be. I stay fit though and that's what's really important, right?!

Who was your prom date? My Sophomore year, Prom was on April 2nd and my 16th Birthday was on April 7th, the guy I really liked was going to take me, but he respected my decision to wait until after I was 16 to date. Junior Year I went with Rob Anderson, and Senior Year I went with Casey Allman.

Good grades? Yes. I really wanted to graduate with a 4.0, but I had a little bit of senioritis and graduated with a 3.95 instead.

Did you ever ditch? Nope. In fact, I had an inside joke with some of the administration members and on the last day of school, they finally coerced me to leave early - they laughed about it.

Were you close to your parents? VERY close!!! My mom and I were best buds. (My dad died when I was 12). My mom and I talked all the time and she knew everything that was going on in my life. She was my biggest supporter and my best friend.

Did you ever kiss anyone during high school? Well, technically, yes. I was known for being V.L. (if you don't know what that is then you were probably a kisser), but my Senior year, my sweethearts dance date, gave me a goodnight kiss on the doorstep. The next day at lunch I heard him and his friends (also other boys I liked and dated) saying he owed all of them milkshakes - I later found out why . . . he got the first kiss. Jason is the only other person I have kissed.

Did you letter in anything, and did you wear a letterman jacket? I lettered in Music, Academics, and Basketball - I did receive a letterman jacket for Christmas and wore it sometimes, but it is mostly a piece of memorabilia hanging in my closet.

What was the worst date you ever went on? My second date. I was barely 16 and a Senior in my seminary class asked me out. We went on a double date with his friend and his friend's girlfriend. We played games and went toilet papering. The entire time he kept asking if I was cold and wanted to wear his letter jacket - I refused, but he still put it on me. He kept trying to put his arm around me and was treating me like I was his girlfriend. I wasn't interested at all! When he brought me home, he leaned in for a kiss and yes, I feel bad, but I turned my head, thanked him for the date, and walked in my house as fast as I could. The next day at school, he wrote "Dan loves Mindi" on the Seminary blackboard. I was so embarrassed.

What was the best date you ever went on during high school? That's hard to say because there were some very nice guys that took me on very nice dates, but I will have to say the most clever was when a guy from EFY took me out and we had a candleight dinner in the median of University Parkway in Provo (across from the Olive Garden - where there is a hilly grassy area.) He blindfolded me until I was in my seat and I was so curious what was going on. I could hear lots of cars and people honking, but I didn't know why. He had an entire dinner table, chairs, and wonderful meal all set up. After we ate, he had music provided and asked me to dance. We were with one other couple, so it was not SO awkward, but yes, we slow danced on the top of that hill and there were many cars that waved, honked, and said, "way to go" to my date and his friend. I had a ton of fun!

Did you have a boyfriend?
Nope. I would say there were two guys I liked best my Junior year and three guys I liked best my Senior year. I was only infatuated with the Seminary Council president my Sophomore year and yes, he was my first date.

What were your hobbies? Four-wheeling, skiing, singing, playing the piano, clogging, writing music, and playing basketball.

Did you ever drive a car before taking Driver's Ed? Nope, and I felt like such a dork when I was the only one that did not know how to start the car when my instructor asked me to.

Did you ever ditch Seminary? No Way! I loved seminary, in fact, my senior year, I often went to Seminary two periods a day.

What did you eat for lunch? I ate hot lunch every day and I loved it!

Were you considered popular? Does it really matter? It was more important for me to be friends with everyone than to worry about whether it or I was popular or not.

Do you have any regrets? Yep. I was really good friends with my basketball coach when I was a Senior and I sometimes spent more time with her than my friends. If I could go back and change that, I would!!

What is a fun memory from High School? During our Choir Tour to California, there was a lock down in the hotel we were at because of something that happened a few floors below us. We were told that we could not leave the rooms that we were in until furthter notice. I was in a room with boys and girls, un-chaperoned, and we had to spend the entire night togehter. We all forced ourselves to stay awake and by morning we were delirious! We had a lot of laughs and a great time together, but we were so tired! (To those of you who were there - the boston baked beans were the best!)

Did you have a job during high school? I was a lifeguard during the summer months

Are you planning on going to your 10 year reunion? I already did. (I was on the committee, so I guess it's a good thing I went.)

If you could go back and do it again, would you? Not in the place of where my life is now, but, yes, I would do it again - I loved High School!


I hope I did not bore you too much with this post, but I sure had a lot of fun doing it. It brought back some great memories!

17 comments:

Monica Buchanan said...

Hey- remember me, Monica Ewell (Buchanan now)? I found your blog through April's. I love it. It was fun to see what you're up to. My blog is through invite only. E mail me at smbuchanan5@yahoo.com and I will invite you to mine. You look great.

Ali said...

That was WAY too much fun!! What great times those high school days were!

Heather said...

That was great! Sometimes I miss high school. Actually, I think I just miss the carefree days with less responibility! It sure is fun to remember the easy life!

Amy Pratt said...

loved the hair mindi!!!

Me said...

Hey--I didn't know how to turn on a car either!!! So, you're not alone in that embarrassment!

I remember the story about your graduation fiasco! We almost had to have ours outside too--cause we were pretty big--but were just small enough to fit inside the school's gym (you know--cause WJHS and Alta are twinners--sort of). It was way hot in the gym though! Guess it's a good thing they finally started renting out bigger places!

Mary P.

Anonymous said...

Your senior picture is absolutely gorgeous! Love it.

April said...

That was so fun! We really had a good time in high school. I loved seeing all the dance pictures! I now want to go find mine. You were the best. I remember you being VL, I bet I could guess those three guys, and I can say without question that you were considered a flirt. :)

Devon said...

What a great post! I LOVED seeing the pictures...the funny part is that your dance pictures look almost exactly like some of mine..too fun!

The Blomquist Bunch said...

Ok, so every time I see pictures of Utah high school dances it just blows my mind. NOOOoooo dances like that in Nebraska! Do they still do all the matchy clothes dances here? I sure had fun reading about you (though I already knew you had great skillz and were amazing, even in high school.) So I was wondering when you're going to go back to be a curly-haired lady again? :)Whenever I curl my hair it always makes me feel like I'm in high school again, for some reason. I like our sleek, sophisticated grown-up do's. :)

The Blomquist Bunch said...

Ok, and your graduation day---WHAT?? How have I never heard THAT story before??? WOW, that is a truly spectacularly amazing and memorable to say the least . . .

Julie Mulcock said...

Love this post! Yes, I think we could have been great friends in High School! Too bad my family didn't stick around in Sandy! Your pics are so fun, too. I found myself scanning them in case I knew someone. It kind of made me feel left out! Weird. We had some great times pre-high school! Loved the Safway walks!

Brandon and Carly said...

Um - - don't you still look lie those pictures. Cuz, when I think of you in my head that's what you still look like to me!! ;) It is so fun to have the blogging world to reconnect in!

Cortney Chambers said...

wow...that was a blast from the past. sometimes i forget how long ago high school was and then i see pictures and i quickly remember, oh yeah that was before we all used a round brush and blow dryer for our hair!
now i am trying to remember who your senior year sweethearts date was--
he he!!! i can't even remember who mine was, man i'm getting old! maybe i didn't even go, i guess i'm not traumatized since i can't even remember!
fun post! also, hi to april & monica on your comments!! this blogging thing is like a mini-reunion all the time!

chandra said...

That was a really fun post to read! That made me think back to my HS days too. Those are fun days to remember. I just might do this post too. Im not sure I would be brave enought to post the boys I dated. Some were total GEEKS!!!!

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

I just found your blog. You are so fuuny and still the same Mindi from high school. I was in one of those pictures. This brought back some good memories

Alisha Joy said...

WOW that brought back some memories. Halliarous!! I need to dig out my old photos.

philangie said...

You're going to get another, remember me, comments. It's Angie Rasch now Smith. I was in a few of those pictures and Ali told me to check out your blog. It was fun to catch up and also remember old times. Thanks!
angie