Thursday, September 17, 2009

Good-bye to "The Office"

So this will seem like a really silly post, but it's of great importance to me so here goes . . .

As many of you know, Jason and I are very particular about the types of things that we allow into our home. We quit watching PG-13 movies 11 years ago and we have never been fans of primetime TV sitcoms. There have been many times that we have been told to watch a certain show because of how funny it is, etc. etc. and each time we have realized that we did not want those types of shows in our home . . . until we saw The Office. For some reason, we just loved the ridiculous humor and dynamic of all the office workers. We got sucked in and even though I felt like we shouldn't be watching the show every time we watched it, I continued anyway. If you have seen the show or have heard about it, you know there is a lot of inappropriate material in it. We would always DVR it and then fast forward any parts that were bad. There have been many times that I have thought to myself, "you should quit watching this show," but I just couldn't do it, because I was so sucked in to the silliness of the show. I remember hearing from a friend that she "couldn't believe Jason and I watch that show" because she knows how strict we are about media influences.

Well, I am pleased to say the during the summer, I had a VERY strong feeling after one of the Sunday YW lessons we taught the girls that I MUST stop watching the show. I went home and erased it from the DVR schedule right away and I cannot tell you how wonderful the actual peace I felt was. I am not saying that everyone should stop watching "The Office" or whatever else is their guilty pleasure, but for me, I had to follow the Spirit on this one!!! Tonight is the season opener of "The Office" and I am happy to say that I'm not going to miss it one bit. It feels good to not let the influences of that show in my home. If I can't watch it in front of my kids, then I shouldn't watch it myself!

6 comments:

jb said...

So when we got rid of our tv last spring, that was one show I could watch on hulu. Well I got so far behind, that I ended up not watching it either. I still have psych though....

Andrea said...

Awww Mindi. We can't share laughs over the Office anymore. That's too bad. But for real, good job on stopping watching it. I am proud of you!

Brenda said...

ha that is crazy, I know exactly which YW lesson you are talking about because as I sat through that lesson I thought of the exact same show, we are in the same boat here, we are very strict on movies and only watch them on our clear play DVD player, but for some reason the Office got a pass, but I too have decided not to watch this season. So long Office.

The Blomquist Bunch said...

it gets easier, I promise. we've been office free for two seasons now ;)

Mandy said...

Love you Mindi!

shelbell said...

I totally hear ya! That show can totally pull you in, but there have been some questionable episodes! Good job! Hope you're feeling great!