Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Report Cards

Today we received report cards for each of the children and there were really no surprises, except for one child. Jason seemed very surprised that one of our children did not get all Satisfactories for classroom behavior. I, on the other hand, remember vividly from my own childhood that every time my mom got one of my report cards, I had all Honors in everything academic, but when it came to classroom behavior (specifically "talking when I wasn't supposed to") I always had Improvement needed marks. So when one of my darling children had similar marks to the ones I had as a child, I wasn't surprised at all. "The Apple doesn't fall far from the Tree" - Darn it. I guess the Tree just needs to teach the apple to grow a better tree somewhere else.

(I don't want to mention the name of the child I am talking about, but you may be surprised that it is not my oldest child. She actually does very well with being quiet when she's supposed to; she's afraid of disappointing the teacher.)

6 comments:

Devon said...

Well, I figure at least if they're learning everything they're supposed to academically, that leaves a little leverage for "friendly-ness." And really, it's much better than silent children!

Jaime said...

Nothing is wrong with wanting to be social! I remember that my report cards always said "She is doing great, but needs to learn to talk at the RIGHT times". As long as they are learning, I don't see a problem!

Drizzle said...

As I have said to the parent of another overly social child, it's a skill that will serve her very well in almost every aspect of her life, just not this one. Don't worry too much that for a few short years, it is inconvenient, and please don't try to get rid of it!

The Blomquist Bunch said...

Just made me smile :)

Forsyth Family said...

I remember my mom coming home from my Jr. High parent teacher conference and of course I had straight A's--but all of my teachers asked her if I was always that loud??!! Your story taught me that maybe I need to be a little more compassionate when it comes to Cassidy's extreme loudness!!

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

You talk? I don't believe it!!!! You always seemed so quiet and timid to me:)